Active Living Coordinator (Maternity Leave Placement)
(Municipal Physical Activity Leadership Program) This is a cost shared position with the Province of Nova Scotia
Reports to: Director of Community Development & Recreation
Salary Range: $28,000 - $35,000 (Annual Basis)
Working under the direction of the Director of Community Development & Recreation, the Active Living Coordinator will implement the St. Mary’s Active Living Plan in accordance with the Shared Strategy for Advancing Recreation in Nova Scotia. The Active Living Coordinator will be responsible for the organization of a wide variety of programs, activities and events in St. Mary’s. Duties will vary for each program and may include, but not be limited to: delivery, coordination, assisting, evaluating, supervising, promoting, scheduling as well as creating and establishing relationships with community organizations.
- Coordinate the implementation of the St. Mary’s Active Living plan
- Coordinate and organize a wide variety of recreational programs throughout St. Mary’s
- Work with St. Mary’s Education Centre/Academy to increase the physical activity rates of youth
- Create opportunities for our aging population to be active and valued within St. Mary’s
- Create opportunities for residents to explore nature
- Assist with the implementation of the Active Sherbrooke plan (Active Transportation)
- Review existing policies and create new ones where necessary to ensure that facilities and programs provide a supportive environment for participants
- Build capacity in St. Mary’s by identifying community members and volunteers who demonstrate skills that could help advance recreation
- Create educational tools to raise awareness about the benefits of active living
- Develop, manage and evaluate summer programming and summer staff
- Assist with special events as required (i.e. Canada Day)
- Degree or Diploma in: Recreation, Community Development, Human Kinetics or related field, or a combination of education and experience that demonstrate the ability to be effective in the position.
- Past experience in municipal recreation or related work would be an asset.
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
Skills and special knowledge:
- Required to have experience in coordinating initiatives, project management, planning, evaluation, research and working with community groups.
- Requires excellent public relations and communication skills, both oral and written. As well as proven training/experience in recreation and organizing and implementing recreation programs and activities.
- Must possess strong supervisory, planning, organizational and administrative skills and ability to multi-task.
- Computer Skills Essential
- Must be able to work independently and as part of team
Terms and Conditions
- Only applicants with scheduled interviews will be notified
- It is a term position that ends 12 months after the start date: estimated start date will be Mid-March 2019.